Thursday, September 10, 2015

Random Song of the Day - A Good Woman Is Hard to Find by Morphine

It is nearly impossible in this day and age to not be able to own music. Years ago, in the stone ages before Napster, the only way to obtain music was to either tape it off the radio or purchase it. This led to many nights of me sleeping with KDWB or The Edge left on my crappy Emerson 3 in 1 record player hoping to catch songs that I either didn't want to purchase or couldn't purchase. I never will forget the night (probably in 1998 or so) when All for Love by Color Me Badd came on KDWB at 2AM and I managed to tape it. Why it was on that late or 5 years after it hit #1, I'll never know...but the gods were smiling on me that night.

For the longest time, I couldn't find the song A Good Woman Is Hard to Find by Morphine anywhere. I heard it on a Valentine's Day countdown on The Current about 10 years ago and dug it's skronky fucked up sax and strange semi crooned singing. The only things I really knew about the group is that Cure For Pain had been a Modern Rock hit here in Minneapolis in the early 90s but didn't chart anywhere else, and that BMG used to pimp out their albums for their record club when I was a member.

Later on I found out that the lead singer Mark Sandman suffered a heart attack and died onstage in 2000. I didn't even realize the band had been active that long. Their music always felt like it came out from some other time and place, sort of timeless but not of any particular place, if that makes sense. Not many bands really fit into that category (the only ones that pop into my head at the moment are CCR and the Band) but Morphine truly does.

The other day I finally got A Good Woman Is Hard to Find via an MP3 rip. One of my white whales has been conquered. Now if I could only get my hands on What Does It Take by Honeymoon Suite...



No comments:

Post a Comment