Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Random Song of the Day: Lost And Found by Brooks and Dunn

While driving back from a job interview yesterday, this gem came on a playlist on my iPod. I make a playlist a month and stock it with whatever strikes my fancy. This particular playlist had a lot of aggy rap (Boot Camp Clik and Company Flow) and random radio pop circa 1988 (Scarlett and Black's excellent You Don't Know in particular). In the middle of all this, the one country song that came up was Brooks and Dunn's 1992 single Lost and Found.

Lost and Found was the 5th and final single off their massive country album Brand New Man and was the first single to be released after Boot Scootin' Boogie, which was a #1 country and #50 pop hit, back when NOTHING country hit that high on the pop charts. So Lost and Found's #6 country chart placing seems like a bit of a letdown.

The thing for me that stands out about Lost, is the overall feeling of the song. I read once that certain songs can convey a feeling of nostalgia without specifically stating so in the lyrics. Prime examples of this are 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins and Midnight City by M83. When I listen to Lost and Found's tale of looking for a runaway woman who can't be tracked down, I get the same wistful feels. Not too many songs do that for me without a specific memory tied to them. The only memory this song gives is summer evenings, which really doesn't make sense since the song peaked in popularity in the winter of 1993.

Anyways, see if this forgotten country great makes you feel the way that I do:

No comments:

Post a Comment