Friday, September 4, 2015

Billboard Hot 100 Week of 8/29 (AKA What Have, What Have, What Have I Done to Deserve This?)

Wow. Just wow. I decided to watch the entire chart sweet (100 to 1) for last week's Billboard Hot 100. Since I don't actively engage with top 40 as much as I used to (unless I am in the car with the fam and Cities 97 or KDWB is on), I felt the need to see just what the country considers hot. So, if you have 20 or so minutes to kill, you can do it too!



Some of the takeaways that I got from this particular Hot 100:

-Country music is in it's Jiggy Phase and that shit ain't pretty. To be fair, it seems like it is the Jiggy Phase crossed with 1980s hair metal. Nothing but partying, shitty tribal tattoos and live performance videos. Bro country has to be the worst era for any genre of music ever. The only song that truly sounded country was the Eric Church one, and maaaaaybe the Zac Brown Band song that reminded me of a Herb Ritts video

-What the hell is the deal with the weird Autotune voice effect with all the rappers not named Drake or J. Cole? How can someone find that endearing?

-Speaking of Drake, I think he has reached the tipping point. How many features can one man have? We are on some Nate Dogg in 2000 shit right now. Like Boy Meets Girl, I am waiting for the star to fall

-Fetty Wap just needs to go away. Dude has multiple songs in this countdown and not an iota of talent. I guess we know what white suburban kids dub thee Lil Wayne now?

-I know that Ed Sheeran gets a lot of flack, but compared to most of the shit on here, he sounds like the goddamn Beatles

-The best thing I heard was in the Omarion song where the chick says (and I am probably paraphrasing) "You beta eat dat ass like groceries". I guess Gawker was right, we are truly living in a golden era of butthole munching

-The Weeknd is so far ahead of other R&B in the talent and visuals area it isn't fair. Seriously, it shocks me that someone this fucked up is hugely popular (two singles in the top 5). I guess true talent and pop song craft sometimes does rise to the top?

-The top 20 portion of the chart sounds nothing like the rest of the chart. If I were running the charts, I would recalculate the formulas so the bottom half isn't just Bro Country and Shit Hop. It seems like it's ghettoized into that area, with the poppier stuff rising to the top of the pops

-'Cheerleader' and 'Can't Feel My Face' probably would have been hits in any era they were released

If I can, I think I will do a comparison to the Hot 100 from like 20 or 30 years ago to see what the music of that time was like. I cannot imagine it being any worse than this.

4 comments:

  1. Top 20 HEEL Review:
    Tracks 19, 13, 8, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - All these tracks need to go. The entire top 5 is horrible, artists horrible, songs horrible. I don't think that I'm old either, it's horrible. EDM has ruined music.
    -Fetty Wrap ft. Monty literally hurt my ears. Are these tracks off the BHD Soundtrack? Seriously I've never heard of them)
    -I own 2 of the songs in the top 20, can you guess what they are ??
    -- I have a crush on Demi Lavato, it's probably just a phase but it's real dammit!
    BONUS: Tracks 40 and 39 are hot country fire. HAWT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the #39 song a country song? That is the most EDM heavy pop song to be called country since that Sam Hunt fool later in the countdown! The Zac Brown jawn sounds like some yacht rock, which is the opposite of his other stuff which sometimes features Chris Cornell and can RAWK. I say you own the Demi track and the Derulo joint. Because that is flame. And Cheerleader nor The Weeknd is EDM, but I agree...that has ruined music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would actually say Pop song by Country artist. And that song is the Nick Shafer anthem! Anyone can listen the Chicken Fried and knock the Zac Brown band, but if you listen to some of their non singles and covers it's a very talented band. Wrong and WRONG. Again EDM sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And most pop is EDM influenced! Yeah Mrs Eickholt went to see Zac Brown and said he busted out Metallica and rocked really hard. Kacey Musgraves was the other opener (for I think Kenny Chesney) and I dig her too

    ReplyDelete